Friday, April 4, 2008

Twist and Shout

For close to ten years now, I have had reoccurring dreams/nightmares all about tornadoes. When my life is a bit out of control or there is something really bothering me...I have dreams about tornadoes. They chase me, rip off roofs around me, take away family members, sweep away my car...I could go on and on. It is quite strange all those years living in California, the land of no weather, and having nightmares about tornadoes.

Last night, we had some crazy weather here in Arkansas. The kids were down for bed and the hubby and I were snuggled in as well. I was watching the news and saw the reports of tornadoes in Benton. Most of my family is in Benton. I prayed A LOT for them to be kept safe. After it passed I dozed off.

A few hours later, the phone rang. My sister was calling to be sure we were up and in a safe place. The sirens were going off! I FREAKED out. Plain and simple...FREAKED OUT! Todd sat straight up and said "Are those the tornado sirens?" I shouted "YES GET THE BOYS!"

I ran across the house grabbed Brady, my youngest, and put him in the hallway. Then I got our dog and put her on her leash. I started grabbing pillows, blanket, couch cushions, more blankets. Austin and Drew came into the hall with dazed looks. Drew grabbed the pillow and a blanket and went back to sleep. YES! Back to sleep, can you believe it? Austin, just looked like he was sleeping with his eyes open.

We listened to the news and they were reporting where funnel clouds had been seen and they kept saying "If you are in Conway, be in your safe area!" I also heard the name of the elementary school that is a couple blocks from our house. Much more prayers. Then a few minutes passed, the sirens stopped. We still had a roof. No one was taken away. The cars were still in the garage and driveway. Phew!

My little California heart could hardly take last night! I was so worried about the boys and how they were going to react to the whole situation. Drew said he didn't sleep so well, and Brady said he didn't go back to sleep. Then my Austin, my five year old...comes into the kitchen as I am making his lunch and looks at me strange.

He says "Last night was pretty weird." and told him yes, tornadoes can be quite scary, but as long as we are smart and try to get well protected in the hall we should stay safe. His eyes got really big and he said "THERE WAS A TORNADO?!?!?" I said "Baby, why did you think we were all in the hallway in the middle of the night?" He said "I thought it was practice!"

Gotta love that boy! Last night was like practice though. It was good to go through and not actually have the tornado pass over our house and hear it. I feel the next time it happens, my heart can take it. And maybe I won't freak out as bad. Oh believe me...I will still freak out, but maybe I will not have to type it in all capital letters.

I hope everyone else is safe. Please keep Arkansas in your prayers...we have been hit with a lot lately, half the state is flooded and now a lot of folks have lost their homes. Thankfully my family in Benton is all safe and no one had any significant damage. ♥

3 comments:

Julie Anne of Diamondmeenuh Creations said...

After living in Los Angeles for 13 years, and most of my life up in New Hampshire, the mere mention of a tornado sends shivers up and down my spine! Give me a good old fashion earthquake anyday! I'm so glad your family was safe and that the boys were basically unphased by the whole thing.

Ekio Locatiare said...

I'm glad both your family and extended family is safe. I worried about you guys last night!

It passed pretty close to us too but didn't do any damage here. Hubb's been bombarded with calls though of family members who couldn't remember exactly where our house sat in relation.

Glad to hear your boys took it in stride, mine just keep asking to play pillow picnic again. *chuckles*

idyll hands said...

No, you will always freak out... all of the time.

I do. I do NOT like being in a tornado but I would pay a lot of money to see in real life.

Funny how I am about that.

I'm so glad you and your family is safe and sound.